You can make changes to your family’s Apple Health coverage when your child or dependent turns 19. You may get a message from Washington Healthplanfinder about them losing coverage. But depending on your family’s situation, your real options could be different.
As your health plan, we at Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) can help you find the right health coverage for your family.
Here are some questions to ask when a member of your household turns 19:
- Should my child stay on my health plan? They can do this if they’re living in your home and you’re claiming them as a dependent on your taxes.
- Does my child want their own health plan? A 19-year-old can make their own Washington Healthplanfinder account and choose a plan.
- Should I update my coverage in Washington Healthplanfinder? You may need to do this to ensure you have the coverage you want. The plans available to you and your child depend on income eligibility for both of you. See Apple Health eligibility requirements*.
Apple Health for individual adults (age 19-24)
You may be eligible if you:
- Are Age 19-64
- Have annual household income at or below the Medicaid standard (see income chart below)*
- Are a U.S. citizen or meet Medicaid immigration requirements.
- Are not entitled to Medicare
|Apple Health for Adults (age 19 through 64 years old) |
Income Eligibility Requirements
|Size of Household||Single person||2-person||3-person||4-person||5-person||6-person||7-person|
Have questions? Give us a call at 1-833-969-0307.
*Income requirements are updated every April
If your child/dependent wants to go on their own plan
If your child is moving off your plan, they’ll need to make their own Washington Healthplanfinder account. This has two steps:
- You renew your health coverage in the Washington Healthplanfinder. When you do, update your household information to reflect that your 19-year-old child is no longer on your plan.
- Your child makes a Washington Healthplanfinder account. They need to be removed from your plan before they can do this. Once your child or dependent has created a Washington Healthplanfinder account, they can enroll in a CHPW plan of their own.
If your child/dependent is staying on your plan
Maybe you’d like your child to stay on your health plan. They can do this until the age of 26, as long as they’re living in your home and you’re claiming them as a dependent on your taxes.
To keep your 19-year-old child or dependent on your plan, renew your coverage online in the Washington Healthplanfinder.
Call us to explore your options
CHPW’s local enrollment specialists walk you and/or your dependent through this process. We can help you:
- Navigate your options and find the right health coverage for your family
- Update your household information to include any new members of your household, and remove people who are no longer eligible
- Create a new Washington Healthplanfinder account
- Make sure Washington Healthplanfinder keeps you on your CHPW plan
Give us a call at 1-833-969-0307 (TTY: 711), 8:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday.