Health coaches support members with asthma, chronic pulmonary disease, heart failure, and/or diabetes
Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) offers specialized health coaching for members with one or more of the following diagnoses:
What does a health coach do?
Health coaches help members handle chronic health conditions. That means supporting you in making healthy lifestyle changes, teaching you how to take your medications, and helping you understand the health care system.
A CHPW health coach can help you with things like:
- Healthy eating
- Increasing physical activity
- Taking your medicine(s) on schedule
- Speaking up about your health needs to your doctor
- Quitting smoking
- Self-advocacy skills
- Renewing prescriptions
- Using medical equipment like a glucometer or inhaler
- Learning breathing techniques that help reduce COPD symptoms
- Learning how the health care system works so you can get the care you need
Health coaching services are individualized and incorporate your experiences, values, time, and resources.
How do I sign up for health coaching?
Your doctor can refer you for health coaching by contacting our Customer Service team. You can also refer yourself.
If you have a child with asthma, diabetes, or another condition that qualifies them for health coaching, you can refer your child. Our health coaches will work with you to manage your child’s condition and teach them the healthy habits they’ll need to self-manage later on.
Here are some other ways we find members who might qualify for health coaching:
- We look at the results of the health risk assessments (HRAs) that all Medicare Advantage members take annually, and that Apple Health members take when they join CHPW.
- We look at data collected by utilization management and case management.
- At daily rounds of hospital patients, we refer patients to Health Coaching if their conditions are related to diabetes, asthma, or COPD. Case managers tell us if they see such patients.
If you have questions about health coaching, or want to refer yourself, please contact our Customer Service team.