Your Acupuncture Benefit
Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) now covers acupuncture. This extra benefit is for plan members who are age 18 and over. It is available at no cost to you when you see a CHPW network acupuncturist.
We will pay for up to six (6) acupuncture visits per member a year. You don’t need a referral or prior approval. All you have to do is show your current CHPW Member ID card.
Please note that this new benefit covers acupuncture needle treatment only. It does not cover herbs, vitamins, and other services.
Here are more details:
- This year, you can see an acupuncturist up to six times through December 31, 2019.
- Next year, you can do up to six visits from January 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020.
- You cannot roll over unused visits to the next year.
- You need prior approval from CHPW for extra visits beyond the first six. Extra visits are only considered in cases of chronic pain or opioid use disorder.
- The acupuncturist you see must be licensed and in our provider network. To find a CHPW acupuncturist, please call Customer Service or search our provider directory.