It is important to store your medicines safely. Doing this can prevent theft or accidental poisoning. Here are some tips for storing your medicine safely.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid kitchens and bathrooms. They tend to be humid.
- Remove the cotton. If there is cotton in the bottle, throw it away. Once you open the bottle, the cotton can affect your medicine.
- Lock it up. Be sure that your medicine container has a lock.
- Don’t share. Sharing your prescriptions is illegal!
- Get rid of leftovers. You can get rid of unused medicines through a “drug take-back program.” Ask the local police to find a location near you, or click here.
- Follow the directions for disposal. Some medicines have special instructions for disposal. Always follow the instructions. For more information, click here.
- Ask your pharmacist. If you don’t know how to store your medicine, ask your pharmacist. Some pharmacies have mail-back programs and disposal kiosks for unused medicines.