Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) covers acupuncture for members age 18 and over. At no cost to you, you can make six (6) acupuncture visits a year.
You don’t need a referral or prior approval. All you have to do is show your current CHPW Member ID card.
Acupuncture benefit details
- This year, you can make up to six visits from January 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020.
- You cannot roll over unused visits to the next year.
- The acupuncturist you see must be licensed and in our provider network.
- This benefit covers acupuncture needle treatment only. It does not cover herbs, vitamins, and other services.
- You need prior approval from CHPW for extra visits beyond the first six. Extra visits are only considered in cases of chronic pain or opioid use disorder.
Should I visit an acupuncturist?
You may consider seeing an acupuncturist if one or more of the following applies to you:
- Dental pain
- Headaches, including tension headaches and migraines
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Menstrual cramps